BioHabana 2024 / “Science for a healthy life” the horizon is already visible!
BioHabana 2024 is the second edition of this scientific and business meeting. The innovation in Health requires the worldwide interconnection of innovation ecosystems.
The R&D&i activity becoming international and the globalization of the High Tech enterprises is a universal trend in the biotech, pharmaceutical and medical technology field. BioHabana 2024 will be a space for the construction of collaboration networks between science front-runners, key opinion leaders, entrepreneurs and businessmen.
There is an ongoing revolution of biological sciences in the XXI century, which has given rise to the concept of the “new biology”, as a science of convergence with Nanosciences and Data Science, which captures the complexity of biological systems.
It is necessary to extract the lessons that Covid-19 leaves us for future health emergency situations. Cuba's experience in controlling this disease indicates the epidemiological impact of social factors. In the post-Covid19 stage, we will have an increase in the burden of mortality from chronic non-communicable diseases, among others, cancer and neurodegenerative diseases.
The concept of "One Health" teaches us the need for a holistic approach, which includes, in addition to human health, food production and environmental protection. A "clean" and "smart" industry (industry 4.0) is a necessity in the contemporary world.
The effective use of all these new possibilities will also require changes in the ways of managing value chains and in business models, which will have to be addressed with creativity and organizational innovation.
BioCubaFarma, the Cuban Biotechnological, Pharmaceutical and Medical Technology Industry Group, calls the scientific and business community of the world to the Congress BioHabana 2024. In this second edition we intend, together with scientists and businessmen, to continue the debate that we started in the previous edition and introduce new topics.
This Congress will be a unique space due to its scope and diversity, both in terms of subjects and actors, an innovation accelerator, and a tool for promoting cooperation and business.
Connectivity and globalization will characterize BioHabana 2024. We are looking forward to meet you in BioHabana 2024!
Havana Convention Center, Cuba
April 1 – 5, 2024
BioHabana 2024 is preparing an attractive program based on scientific and business sessions. More than 120 relevant lecturers from different countries have confirmed their attendance. Besides, more than 1300 delegates are expected to attend the meeting.
Symposia with master lectures, workshops, posters and/or oral presentations will be organized in the following main topics:
- Autoimmune diseases
- Innovation in business models for high-tech sectors
• License Agreements
• Appraisal of Intangible Assets
• Stock market
• Businesses between Cuban and American companies for US market
• Foreign investment businesses in Cuba
• Successful business cases of Cuban biotechnology
• Tumor Biology: malignant transformation, tumor progression and metastasis
• New advances on cancer immunotherapy:
o Inhibitors of check points
o Adoptive cellular therapy
o Cancer vaccines
o Drug combinations and treatments
o Resistance mechanism
• Biomarkers: Discovery and development
• Prevention, Diagnosis and early treatment
- Infectious diseases
• COVID-19, impact on vaccine development. Current strategies. Lessons to face upcoming health emergencies
• Chronic infectious diseases. Therapeutic vaccines
• Acute infectious diseases
• Basic research, B and T cells, innate immunity, mucosal immunity, immune potentiation of the immune response and immunological memory
• Translational research
- Neurodegenerative diseases
• Challenges and advances on the drug development for treating neurodegenerative diseases
• Neurosciences and Neurotechnologies. Approaches in the Industrial revolution 4.0
• Neuroinformatics and multiomics approaches for understanding brain diseases
• Neurotechnology and healthy aging
• Neurostimulation and neuromodulation
• Neurodevelopment and educational neurosciences
• Cognitive neurosciences
• Hereditary ataxias
- Chronic inflammation and aging
• Immune senescence and inflammation
• Cellular senescence
• Methods for estimating the biological age. Biological clocks.
• Strategies to reach a healthy aging/ “anti-aging” therapies
• Panel about centenarians
- Bioprocesses. Development and design space
• Fermentation and protein expression systems in mammalian cells, bacteria and yeast
• Protein purification
• Lyophilization, optimization, models
• Manufacturing of vaccines and biosimilars
• Design and processes for probiotics
• Space of design, quality by design
• Process Analytical technologies (PAT) and technologies for drug characterization
- Medical Technology and Industry 4.0
• Processing of signals and biomedical images
• Sensors and medical instruments
• Nanosciences; Nanotechnologies and Nanomaterials
• Artificial Intelligence
• Telemedicine and home care
• Computerization in biomedical environment, Bioinformatics and computational biology
• Biomaterials and tissue engineering
• Modeling and simulation
• Biomechanics and bio-robotics
• Rehabilitation technologies
• Medical physics and nuclear medicine
• Clinical engineering and management of health technologies
• Design of medical devices
- Agricultural biotechnology
• Genetic improvement of plants for a more ecological agriculture
• Veterinary vaccines in the concept of one health
• Industrial enzymes in improving nutrition
- Collaboration Academy-Company. Innovation management.
• University-company link in the innovation ecosystem
• Models of innovation management in the University-Company alliance
Special sessions will be organized on:
- Strategy and technologies for facing new pandemics
- Regulatory Science
- Launching session of BioCubaFarma business portfolio, investment portfolio and products catalog 2024-2025
- Trade Fair of the Biotechnological, Pharmaceutical and Medical Technology Industry
- Spaces set up for bilateral meetings
There will be the possibility of virtual participation in the BioHabana 2024 Congress, with access to the abstracts of all the papers, digital version of the posters, and online participation in the master lectures of the symposiums.
Deadline for registration and submission of papers
- February 9, 2024
Registration fee for international participants
- Before the deadline: 300 euros
- Late registration (after the deadline): 400 euros
- Virtual participation (online): 150 euros
- Students: 100 euros
For in person mode, the fee payment for registration guarantees:
- Accreditation, materials of the event and access to all lectures and other forms of presentation
- Digital certification for the attendance mode
Data of bank account, in euros, for registration fee payment:
- Bank account: No.0300000005803717
- Holder: S. HAVANATUR T. AND T. LA HABANA
- Bank name: Banco Financiero Internacional
- SWIFT: BFICCUHH
- Bank address: Calle 1ra y 0, Edificio Sierra Maestra, Playa, La Habana, Cuba
- Reference: Congreso BioHabana 2024
Accommodation and transportation of foreign participants
It will be attended by the Havanatur Tourism Agency. Services include:
- Accommodation per person-night with breakfast
- Services of transportation from and to the airport, exclusive
- Services of transportation from and to the Event venue
- Havanatur service for personal assistance
Biotech, Pharmaceutical and Medical Technology Industry Trade Fair
We are pleased to inform you that in parallel to the BioHabana 2024 event, a trade fair will be held that will allow a close approach with BioCubaFarma companies, as well as with other related companies, both suppliers and customers.
At the fair, special sessions dedicated to the launch of prioritized company projects can be held, where new business opportunities can be shared with entrepreneurs from all over the world.
Three categories of sponsorship will be established with their corresponding advertising fees:
- PLATINUM: contribution greater than 15,000 Euros.
- GOLD: contribution in the range of 5,000 to 15,000 Euros
- SILVER: contribution inferior to 5,000 Euros
Highlights in this edition, for sponsors in the PLATINUM Category, the free offer of a 9 m2 space (stand) at the trade fair will be available to show their products and projects. Moreover, PLATINUM and GOLD categories, will have the opportunity to present a 20-minute conference about business opportunities of the company.
BioHabana 2024 has a Web platform, which can be accessed through the link https://biohabana24.biocubafarma.cu/ and will facilitate the registration process, abstract submission, access to the event news and other elements of interest
- Eduardo Martínez Díaz, PhD
- Rolando Pérez Rodríguez, PhD
- Santiago Dueñas Carrera, PhD
- David Curbelo Rodríguez, PhD
- Isis B. Yera Alos, PhD
- Lisset Hermida Cruz, PhD
- Ricardo Silva Rodríguez, PhD
- Ismary Nuñez Broño, MSc
- Norkis Arteaga Morales, MSc
- Tomás de la C. Hernández Regincos, MSc
- MSc. Raul de la Nuez Morales
- Pablo Fonseca Rodríguez, MSc
PhD . Adriana Maria Rios Rincon
Dr. Rios Rincon earned a BSc (Occupational Therapy) at the Universidad Nacional de Colombia, and a MSc (Biomedical Sciences) at the Universidad de Los Andes, both in Bogotá, Colombia. She earned a PhD (Rehabilitation Science) degree at the University of Alberta, Edmonton, Canada. Her academic career began as an assistant professor at the Universidad del Rosario, School of Medicine and Health Sciences, Bogotá, Colombia, where she also served as the director of a MSc program in Rehabilitation Science for over a year. Currently, she is an assistant professor at the University of Alberta, Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine, Department of Occupational Therapy. She is also an adjunct professor at the Faculty of Health at the University of Waterloo.
PhD . Antonio Miguel Cruz
BSc degree in Nuclear Engineering, MSc in Bioengineering, Ph.D. degree in Bioengineering. Antonio Miguel Cruz is a distinguished academic with a wealth of experience and expertise in the field of digital technologies for healthy ageing. As an Associate Professor in the Department of Occupational Therapy within the Faculty of Rehabilitation Medicine at the University of Alberta, he plays a pivotal role in shaping the future of healthcare and rehabilitation. Additionally, Dr. Miguel Cruz serves as an affiliate researcher at the Glenrose Rehabilitation Research, Innovation & Technology, where he actively contributes to groundbreaking research initiatives. His commitment to advancing the field extends further as an Adjunct Associate Professor in the Faculty of Health at the University of Waterloo.
PhD . Calogero Caruso
University of Palermo, Italy.
Professor of General Pathology.
Founder and editor in chief of the journal Immunity & Aging.
Research interests: Aging, age-related diseases and longevity.
PhD . Daniel San Juan Orta
He is an International expert in Neurology, Clinical Neurophysiology and Epileptology. Dr. Daniel San Juan Orta is currently president of the Mexican Chapter of the ILAE (International League Against Epilepsy), CAMELICE (Mexican League Against Epilepsy). He has more than twelve years of experience coordinating Clinical Research about Epilepsy. More than 8 years of experience as principal investigator in pharmaceutical sector. Active member of several national and international neuro-societies and past-president of the Mexican Clinical Neurophysiology society and Active member of the National Medical Society of Mexico. Neuro-scientist with more than 70 journal publications related to the field of neurosciences.
PhD . Daniela Frasca
Research Associate Professor in Microbiology and Immunology University of Miami Miller School of Medicine.
PhD in Cell Biology and Developmentfrom the University of Rome.
Research interests: B cell immunosenescence, obesity and immune aging.
PhD . Graham Pawelec
University of Tübingen, Germany. Master's degree in Natural Sciences and PhD in Transplant Immunology. Professor of Experimental Immunology. Co-Editor-in-Chief of "Immunity & Ageing" and was Co-EiC of “Cancer Immunology Immunotherapy”. Research interests: Immunosenescence, cancer immunotherapy, immune monitoring, vaccination, and immune ageing in humans.
PhD . Kâmil Uludağ
Kâmil Uludağ is Full Professor at the Department of Medical Biophysics, University of Toronto. He completed his Ph.D. in Physics in 2003 on Near-Infrared Optical Spectroscopy (Humboldt University, Berlin) and moved for a postdoc position to the Center for Functional MRI (UCSD, San Diego, USA) to work on the physiological and physical basis of functional MRI.
His main research focus includes: Physical and physiological foundations of functional MRI, Clinical application of quantitative MRI at 3 and 7 Tesla, Anatomical MRI in post mortem and in vivo brain tissue and Artificial intelligence in fundamental Neuroscience and Diseases.
PhD . Luisa Lilia Rocha Arrieta
Prof. Rocha is SIN-III Researcher and 3E-Full Professor, Department of Pharmacology, Centro de Investigación y de Estudios Avanzados (CINVESTAV).
She is a Full Member of the Latin American Brain Initiative (LATBrain). Member of the Joint ILAE-AES Task Force on Translational Research. She is the author of more than 120 scientific articles in indexed journals, 36 book chapters and 4 books.
She has made notable contributions to the molecular pathogenesis of epilepsy.
PhD . Roberto Lent
Professor of Neuroscience, Federal University of Rio de Janeiro
Director of the Brazilian Science for Education Network
Director of the Unesco Chair of Sci4Ed,
One of the Directors of the Brazilian Academy of Sciences.
He has made notable contributions to the quantification of cell populations of the human brain.
He is the author of more than 150 scientific articles in indexed journals. He is the main author of the neuroscience textbook "One Hundred Billion Neurons", and of the children's book collection "The Adventures of a Remembering Neuron".
PhD . Tamás Fülöp
University of Sherbrooke, Quebeq, Canada. Medical Doctor and PhD in in Biochemistry and Immunology. Director of the Age Research Centre and Full Professor within the Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences at the University of Sherbrooke. Head of the Immune Inflammation Laboratory and Medical Director of the Memory Clinic. Editor-in-Chief of Gerontology and Interdisciplinary topics in Gerontology and Geriatrics. Research interests: Immunosenescence, inflammation, immune aging and its association with age-related diseases.
PhD . Yadin David
Honorary Dean, Clinical Engineering, Capital Medical University, Beijing, China. Inducted into the Academy of Chemical and Biomedical Engineering, WVU, Morgantown, W.Va. Honorary Member, the Italian Clinical Engineers Association (AIIC). Distinguished Professional Achievement and Service, The Academy of Distinguished Alumni, Lane Dept. of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, WVU, Morgantown, W.Va. Distinguish Leadership Award for exceptional contribution to the clinical engineering profession in China. Life Time Achievement Award, American College of Clinical Engineering (ACCE). Robert L. Morris International Humanitarian Award, American College of Clinical Engineering (ACCE)/Association for the Advancement of Medical Instrumentation (AAMI).